Lets Look at some Interesting Facts...
* Honeybees have been around for millions of years.
* It is the only insect that produces food eaten by man.
* Honey is the only substance that humans could survive by consuming it.
* 1 pound of honey takes up to 40,000 miles of flying to produce.
* A worker bee can visit up to 2,000 flowers a day.
* Honey bees have 6 legs, 2 compound eyes made up of thousands of tiny lenses, 3 simple eyes on the top of the head, 2 pairs of wings, a nectar pouch, and a stomach.
* Honey bees have 170 odorant receptors. Their abilities include kin recognition signals, social communication within the hive, and odor recognition for finding food.
* The average worker bee produces only about 1/12th teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
* A colony of bees consists of 20,000 - 60,000 honeybees with one queen. Worker bees are female, live for about 6 weeks, and do most the work.
* The queen bee can live up to 5 years and it's role is to fill the hive with eggs.
* Worker bees produce honeycomb which comprises of hexagon shaped cells through the consumption of honey produced from flower nectar. To produce one pound of beeswax, six to eight pounds of honey are ingested.
* The honey bee's wings stroke is extremely fast! It's about 200 beats per second, which makes the buzzing sound. Honeybees can fly up to 6 miles, as fast as 15 mph.
* They communicate with each other by dancing.